Pressure cookers are a very useful and popular tool in a modern kitchen mainly because of its fast cooking and versatility. If you are thinking your pressure cooker is just for making soups, stews and steamed vegetables, you are wrong! There is so much more your pressure cooker can do. If you have not done a lot of research chances are you are using it to only a fraction of its full tendency. Do you know you can also make desserts using your pressure cooker? Even the simple stovetop pressure cookers can make exceptional desserts! Rice pudding, cheesecake, baked apples and bread pudding are only some of the examples. You can try much more!
Pressure cookers are used for this purpose by many users, especially those who do not own an oven. Once they start using their pressure cooker for baking, and see the results it produces, they no longer feel the need to buy an oven. Why waste money on something so expensive when their pressure cooker can do the same job with the same level of expertise?
Use a medium sized pressure cooker for baking your chocolate cake. 5 liters is a suitable size but bigger pressure cookers work fine as well. You will have to adjust the temperature and the cooking time according to the size of the pressure cooker that you choose.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make cake in your pressure cooker:
- If this is the first time you are using your pressure cooker for baking, choose a simple cake recipe. I made a simple chocolate cake in my pressure cooker the first time I tried.
- Prepare the batter as the recipe suggests. There is no difference in the recipe used. Same oven recipe works perfectly for pressure cooker as well. Once you have your batter ready, set it aside.
- Remove the rubber gasket from the lid of your pressure cooker. This is because you do not want to seal the cooker to build pressure in it as you are not adding any water.
- Some pressure cookers come with a metal stand that is placed at the bottom of the cooking pot. The purpose is to distribute heat more evenly inside the pressure cooker and is especially useful while baking. If your pressure cooker did not come with this stand, you can use a steel plate. If you cannot find one, gather some medium sized flat stones from your backyard, place them evenly on the base of your pressure cooker. It should do the job.
- Before baking your cake, you need to preheat the cooker just like you do for oven. Place the lid (without the gasket) back on the cooker with only the steel stand (or its equivalent) inside. Turn the flame on and let it cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- The cake batter which is already ready and poured in a greased cake pan can now be placed inside the cooker on top of the steel stand. Make sure that the sides of the cake pan should not touch the walls of the cooker.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes, then turn the flame to very low and let cook for 45 minutes to one hour, checking it at appropriate intervals to avoid overcooking.
Follow these simple steps and your cake will turn out as good as it would in an oven. If you are buying one with baking purpose also in your mind, choose pressure cooker of a good size that is not too small for your cake pan.